What Asthma NZ see –
- 1 in 8 people have asthma
- Approx 2 deaths per week
- Children in more deprived areas are more likely to present to hospital with an exacerbation
The cost of asthma to NZ
- SICK LEAVE 10 days off work more than the average
- MENTAL HEALTH 66% face mental health challenges
- POOR DECISION MAKING Impairs thinking by up to 50%
- KIDS HOME FROM SCHOOL 4 days more off school
- INACTIVITY 60% limit physical activity
- LITERACY Kids with poorly managed asthma 60% behind
- OBESITY Prevalence of obesity & asthma is 31%
- PRODUCTIVITY 36% decrease in productivity
The cost of asthma to NZ business
- 17% of the workforce are on medication for asthma
- 74% of those with asthma are unable to work to full potential
- 42% decrease in individuals productivity due to asthma
- 9.3% of work hours missed each week because of asthma
- 30% of occupational deaths are respiratory
- 26% of employees say asthma affects their career
For further information, here is the link to the ASTHMA NZ website
For great health information check out Health Navigator New Zealand where you will find expert opinion online.
Currently, there are temporary changes to the steps to be followed in resuscitation. These can be found in the video below or by clicking here to see the New Zealand Resuscitation Council temporary guideline recommendation.
Click the link to go to the New Zealand Resuscitation Council Covid-19 recommended modifications for delivering resuscitation whilst the pandemic remains a threat. Click play to see a short video outlining CPR modifications that should be followed during the pandemic.
To learn more from the experts about previously covered conditions click their logo below.
Data and information are fact-checked against various recognised sources, including the New Zealand Resuscitation Council, Health Navigator New Zealand, St John, and other recognised entities specialising in the specific subject content. It should be noted that variances in protocols exist and where necessary are identified.