- Turn on the AED (by pushing the start button) and follow the visual and audio prompts.
- Expose the chest and ensure it is dry. Wipe as needed. If you find
medication patches on the chest, remove them prior to
wiping the person’s chest.
- Remove packaging and attach the AED pads
(as shown in the pictures), then plug in the connector
- Ensure no one is touching the person. Tell everyone to “stand back.”
- If the machine advises a shock is given, again ensure that no one (including you) is touching the person – repeat the call to “stand back.” Once you are happy, it is safe, press the “shock” button.
- Commence/continue CPR after the shock is delivered.
- If no shock is advised, commence/continue CPR for about two minutes and continue to follow the AED‘s prompts. The AED will advise when to stop CPR.
Learn more in tomorrows Tip of the Day.
Click the link to go to the New Zealand Resuscitation Council Covid-19 recommended modifications for delivering resuscitation whilst the pandemic remains a threat.
Click play to see a short video outlining CPR modifications that should be followed during the pandemic.